Create a Status Community¶
Currently, you can only create and administer communities using the Status desktop app.
A Status Community is a place where you can connect and communicate with people who share your interests. Communities are ideal for those with a passion or hobby, study groups, gaming communities, professional network groups, or creators looking to generate income from their content without intermediaries.
As a community owner, you can create open communities or restrict community access using tokens, control [membership approval][set-up-your-community-s-approval-options] and organize discussion groups in channels. Owners have complete control over their community and are responsible for maintaining its rules.
Create a community¶
- From the navigation sidebar, click Communities.
- On top of the content area, click Create community.
- Add a name and a short description of your community.
- Optionally, add a logo, banner, colour palette and tags. You can customize these settings at any time.
- Configure additional community settings.
- Click Next to complete the information about your community.
- Click Create community.
Configure additional settings¶
You can configure these community settings:
|Community history service||Status Communities store up to 30 days of chat history by default. When this option is checked, community members can see messages older than 30 days.For more information, check out About the Community history service.|
|Request to join required||Community owners must manually approve each join request if this setting is checked. This option applies to open and private communities.|
|Any member can pin a message||Any community member can pin messages when this setting is checked. If the setting is unchecked, only the community owner can pin messages.|
The Community history service uses the BitTorrent peer-to-peer network to store and retrieve community messages older than 30 days. Status uses a decentralized network and does not store this information.
Describe your community and its rules¶
- In the Community introduction and rules, introduce your community to new members and describe the community guidelines.
- In the Leaving community message, write the message sent to members leaving your community.
- Click Create community if you haven't already.
Customize your community¶
After you create a community, you can customize its settings at any time.
- From the navigation sidebar, click your community.
- On top of the channel sidebar, click your community logo.
- Click Overview.
- Expand the window and click Edit Community.
- Edit your community look-and-feel, additional settings or community rules.
- Click Save changes.